“We need each other.”
“We need God.”
“We need His wisdom and truth.”
“We need that truth to freely flow between us in this community of faith.”
“We need deeper friendship; more honest reflection, deeper thought, richer personal interactions with one another.”
These are some of the thoughts I have been entertaining since I read this article today. The author shares 7 common blind spots that block out reality.
“Here are 7 Common Blind spots:
- Denial of Reality – Feeling so strong about our own beliefs that we deny the beliefs of others, or deny facts right in front of our eyes.
- Control – Seeing ourselves as being more responsible for things than we actually are, or having more control over things and events than we truly do.
- Made-Up Memories – Making decisions based on memories that did not happen. Often we confuse our imaginations, or our dreams, with reality.
- Reality Distortions – Distorting reality to conform to preconceptions.
- Know it All – Thinking that we know more than what we really do. (We simply don’t know what we don’t know.)
- Listening Only to Validate What We Know – Failure to listen to others.
- Undervaluing What We Do Know – Listening too much to others, and allowing others’ beliefs to talk us out of our beliefs; or in some cases cause us not to trust our instincts.”
You can read the entire article here.
Which of these 7 common blind spots do you think might be blocking reality for you?